Monday, April 28, 2008

Bluesman comic book 2006

Bluesman comic book
Originally published 5/19/2006

I guess they call them "graphic novels" now when they're for grownups. I found this at my local library the other day: Bluesman : a twelve bar graphic narrative in the key of life and death. by Rob Vollmar & Pablo C. Callejo. The story includes a lot of stereotypes but it's not condescending. It paints the two main characters as hardworking musicians in a rough world (America in the 1930s). A jook joint, appropriately, is where most of it is set. Drawings are crude but sometimes evocative. If you enjoy other fictionalized blues tales, such as the movie Crossroads or Alan Greenberg's Love in Vain screenplay (I have to admit that for all their faults and stereotypes I enjoyed both immensely) you'll probably dig this too. And if you do like it there's more! I've requested part 2 from the library and there is a part 3 too, that they don't have yet.

No comments: